Address: Church Lane, off Coventry Road, Bickenhill, Solihull, West Midlands B92 0DN


We welcome our new Vicar, Revd Stuart Dimes, who will be taking services from 19th November 2017.
His licensing will take place on Tueday 14th November.
We look forward to him joining us here at St.Peter's.

 

The Church of England Parish Church of Saint Peter is Norman and was built in 1140.

The Parish covers the village of Bickenhill itself and the town of Marston Green. Also in the Parish are Birmingham International Airport, the National Exhibition Centre, and the National Motorcycle Museum.

The Parish is crossed by two major roads: the M42 and the A45. The A45 is referred to locally as the Coventry Road.

For more details about the history of the church refer to the History page.

All Services start at 10am unless stated otherwise

 

 

 

DATE

SERVICE

NAME

1st READING

2nd READING OR

GOSPEL

COLLECT

INTERCESSION &CHURCH PRAYER

12th NOVEMBER

3RD BEFORE ADVENT

REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY

RED

EUCHURIST

REVD STEPHEN MAYES

KEN

1 THESSALONIANS CH 4

V 13 - 18

STEPHEN

MATTHEW CH 25

V 1 - 13

 

STEPHEN

PETER

 

 

Our new Vicar, Revd Stuart Dimes, will be taking services from 19th November, as set out in the rota below.

 

DATE

SERVICE

NAME

1st READING

2nd READING OR

GOSPEL

COLLECT

INTERCESSION &CHURCH PRAYER

19th November

2nd Sunday before advent.

RED

MATINS

(venite)

Psalm 98

 

ROGER HARRISON &

REVD STUART DIMES

ALISON

1 THESSALONIANS CH 5

V 1 - 11

PETER

MATTHEW CH 25

V 14 - 30

ROGER

KEN

26TH NOVEMBER

Sunday next before advent. Christ the King

RED

EUCHARIST

 

REVD ANNE HINKS &

REVD STUART DIMES

 

LIZ

EPHESIANS CH 1

V 15 - 23

ANNE

MATTHEW CH 25

V 31 - 46

ANNE

KEN

3RD DECEMBER

ADVENT 1

 

PURPLE

MORNING PRAYER

(venite)

Psalm 80 1 - 8

STEPHEN RECORD

JOHN

1 CORINTHIANS

CH 1

V 3 - 9

STEPHEN

MARK CH 13

V 24 - END

STEPHEN .Almighty God,

as your Kingdom dawns, turn us from the darkness of sin to the light of holiness, that we may be ready to meet you in our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

PETER

10TH DECEMBER

ADVENT 2

 

PURPLE

EUCHARIST

REVD STEPHEN MAYES

KEN

2 PETER CH 3

V 8 – 15a

STEPHEN

MARK CH 1

V 1 – 8

STEPHEN

ROGER

17TH DECEMBER

ADVENT 3

CHRISTMAS CAROLS

PURPLE

CAROL SERVICE

 

 

 

ROGER HARRISON &

REVD STUART DIMES

TBC

TBC

TBC

 

TBC

24TH DECEMBER

CHRISTMAS EVE

 

PURPLE

EUCHARIST

 

 

REVD STUART DIMES

ALISON

ROMANS CH 16

V 25 - END

STUART

LUKE CH 1

V 26 – 38

STUART

PETER

24TH DECEMBER

CHRISTMAS EVE

11PM

PURPLE

 

 

 

MIDNIGHT MASS

 

 

 

REVD JOHN BRADFORD

PETER

ISAIAH CH 40

V 1 – 9

REVD JOHN

JOHN CH 1

V 19 - 28

REVD JOHN

KEN

31ST DECEMBER

1ST SUNDAY OF

CHRISTMAS

W

EUCHURIST

 

 

 

REVD ANNE HINKS

ROGER

GALATIANS CH 4

V 4 - 7

 

ANNE

LUKE CH 2

V 15 – 21

ANNE

JOHN

7thJANUARY

EPIPHANY 1

BAPTISM OF CHRIST

W

MORNING PRAYER

(VENITE)

Psalm 29

 

SUE DILWORTH

JOHN

ACTS CH 19

V 1 – 7

PETER

MARK CH 1

V 4 - 11

KEN Heavenly Father,
at the Jordan you revealed Jesus as your Son:
may we recognize him as our Lord and know ourselves to be your beloved children through Jesus Christ our Saviour. AMEN

KEN

14TH JANUARY

EPIPHANY 2

W

EUCHURIST

TBC

ALISON

REVELATIONS CH 5

V 1 – 10

TBC

JOHN CH 1

V 43 - END

TBC

PETER

21STJANUARY

EPIPHANY 3

 

W

MATINS

(venite)

PSALM 128

ROGER HARRISON

ANTHEA

REVELATIONS CH 19

V 6 - 10

KEN

JOHN CH 2

V 1 - 11

ROGER

JOHN

28TH JANUARY

EPIPHANY 4

CHRIST IN THE TEMPLE

W

EUCHURIST

REVD ANNE HINKS

LIZ

REVELATIONS CH 12

V 1 – 5a

ANNE

MARK CH 1

V 21 - 28

ANNE

 

KEN

4TH FEBRUARY

SECOND SUNDAY

BEFORE LENT

G

MORNING PRAYER

(venite)

PSALM 104

V 26 - END

CAROL LINFIELD

KEN

COLOSSIANS CH 1

V 15 - 20

ALISON

JOHN CH 1

V 1 - 14

 

PETER. Almighty God,
give us reverence for all creation
and respect for every person,
that we may mirror your likeness
in Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN

PETER

 

 

 

 

The Church Hall

 

 

 

The Church Hall and Field

 

The hall and field are about 100 metres from the church, separated by a private dwelling and a small office complex.

 The hall is of wooden construction. The main space measures about 14 metres by 7 metres. There is also a small side room and a kitchen with cooker, fridge freezer and a supply of crockery and cutlery. The hall has ladies’ and men’s toilets.

The field was purchased in the 1960s by the then Vicar Stanley Owen who donated it to the church. It is around 3.5 acres. It includes a playing field, children’s play area and a pond area at the rear of the field next to a pony paddock.

There is a hard surface area for parking.

The hall and field are currently managed by Ian Wasse, a member of the PCC, with help from the churchwardens and other PCC members when required.

 For bookings please contact Ian : Telephone : 01675 442184 Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

Letting rates to the public are £16 - £18 per hour dependent on the time of year or £180 per day.

 

 

 

 

Bickenhill is an old Anglo Saxon settlement and its original name was Bichehelle (Bica’s Hill) named after the leader of the settlers. By 1086 it was owned by Edward the Confessor, and then by Turchil, also known as the Earl of Warwick who at that time was a major land owner. The village then had about sixty inhabitants. The descendants of Turchil, the Arden family, settled in the area and adopted the surname de Bickenhill, albeit under different spellings. The name developed into de Bickenhill in the 13th century.

 

In 1295, Alice de Langley gave herself the title Lady of Bickenhill. A manor then developed in Bickenhill and by the 15th century, there were two manors. The manors no longer existed by the end of the 16th century. By 1594 the Plague was in Bickenhill and during that year there were 24 burials; 1 in 12 of the population.

 

The area around the church was designated a conservation area in 1977 and most of older houses in the village are Georgian or Victorian. Several older farmhouses survive in the village, with later frontages but with fifteenth century beams remaining internally. The present Parish Church of St Peter dates from 1140 but little remains of that period.

 

Over the centuries many additions have been made, notably in around 1300 when the chancel was rebuilt, two lancer windows and a ‘leper’ window installed and a priest’s door inserted in its south wall. The church’s spire was struck by lightening in 1876 and rebuilt ten years later at a cost of £400. A huge sum of course in those days. Its most recent addition is the lighting on the tower to warn incoming aircraft of its presence.